Minifiddlers Violin Pedagogy Course: 2nd year
In the videos Professor Szilvay teaches his group of children, which makes it easy for you to follow along. You can study the videos individually at your own pace, or you can gather together your own group of little violinists and follow the weekly lesson plan. The package includes lessons for the whole second year.
Get access to the course platform by registering and choosing a subscription plan. Purchase process and watching the videos are done at the old Minifiddlers online shop.
12 hours 24 minutes
Unlimited access during the chosen subscription period
Lessons and pedagogical topics
Each video lesson is 18–32 minutes.
- Lesson 1 — The two-line stave within the five-line stave, Ledger lines, Tempi, Bow stroke directions, Slurred quavers / eight notes played by adjacent fingers
- Lesson 2 — Slurred quavers / eight notes played by non-adjacent fingers
- Lesson 3 — Shifts within a slur
- Lesson 4 — The syncopated rhythm
- Lesson 5 — Bow-stroke division and slur
- Lesson 6 — "Fast" shifts within the slur
- Lesson 7 — The dotted half note
- Lesson 8 — Melodies with dotted half note
- Lesson 9 — Dotted quarter / crochet note
- Lesson 10 — Melodies with dotted quarter / crochet note
- Lesson 11 — Summary of the newly learned rhythms
- Lesson 12 — Scales
- Lesson 13 — Playing on two strings
- Lesson 14 — Christmas session
- Lesson 15 — String-crossing
- Lesson 16 — Pentatony
- Lesson 17 — Pentatonic melodies
- Lesson 18 — String crossing together with stopping motion on two neighbouring strings
- Lesson 19 — String crossing together with stopping motion on two neighbouring strings
- Lesson 20 — Pentatonic scales
- Lesson 21 — New finger pattern: The low stopping position of the second finger
- Lesson 22 — Low stopping position of the second finger together with shifting movements
- Lesson 23 — Minor Pentahord Melodies played with the new finger pattern
- Lesson 24 — Pentahordal melodies and scales
- Lesson 25 — Playing on two strings
- Lesson 26 — String crossing with slurs
- Lesson 27 — Hexachord melodies played with portato and introduction of the upbeat
- Lesson 28 — Mixed finger patterns
- Lesson 29 — Hexachordal melodies and scales
- Lesson 30 — Matinée (Rascals Vol. I & Vol. 4)
Book(s) used in the course
Géza Szilvay: Colourstrings Violin ABC, Book C and Book D (+ Book B and Kreutzerini - Supplementary material for the Colourstrings Violin ABC Book B).
- Lessons 1–14: Book C (+ Book B and Kreutzerini - Supplementary material for the Colourstrings Violin ABC Book B)
- Lessons 15–20: Book C
- Lessons 21–30: Book D
Please notice that the page numbers mentioned in the videos may vary depending on the edition used.
Teacher: Prof. Géza Szilvay
Violinist, teacher, conductor and the President of ESTA (European String Teachers Association) Prof. Géza Szilvay is creator of Colourstrings method.
Géza has decades of experience of violin pedagogy. He has given more than 200 lectures and workshops on his child-centered teaching method and philosophy across the world, and trained pupils and teachers online over 10 years. In addition to his long pedagogical experience, Géza is known for his strong presence and personal warmth that makes him an excellent and impressive online teacher.